Technical Director - Scott Base Redevelopment
September 6, 2021
Who are we?
At Antarctica New Zealand, we proudly ensure that Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are valued, protected and understood. We support world-leading science and environmental protection and raise public awareness of the global significance of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean.
Antarctica New Zealand is redeveloping the iconic Scott Base, to support New Zealand’s enduring presence in Antarctica and the Ross Sea for the next 50 years. The new base will continue to facilitate world-leading science and better support local and deep-field science with improved efficiencies. Not surprisingly, construction in Antarctica is not straight forward, and the safety of people and the protection of the environment are paramount.
In this newly created role, you will provide technical expertise and leadership to the Scott Base Redevelopment Project. Working collaboratively with the Project Team and external providers, you will assist with resolving technical issues, set up and facilitate peer review process, and develop a design-to-operation strategy.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure all activities are aligned with Antarctica New Zealand Health, Safety and Environmental Management systems, and are sustained by a strong safety culture
- Assist with resolving technical issues across the Scott Base Redevelopment Project team
- Lead the research and development and materials testing processes
- Set up and facilitate a peer review process to critically evaluate project
- Establish processes and tools, including operation and maintenance manual and commissioning process, to achieve ‘soft landings’ across all building and associated plant
What will you bring?
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Minimum ten years' experience in technical management
- Experience in delivering technical guidance on complex and important projects through formal project management methodology
- Previous R&D experience within the building product / construction product industry
To view a role description and to apply please visit the Antarctica New Zealand careers page https://bit.ly/2X21scF
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and advertisement will remain open until the position filled
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.