Scott Base Project Plumber
Scott Base, Sector claimed by New Zealand
March 2, 2023
Who are we?
At Antarctica New Zealand, we proudly ensure that Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are valued, protected and understood. Our role is to support world-leading science and environmental protection and to raise public awareness of the global significance of the continent and surrounding Southern Ocean.
It’s an exciting time to be joining Antarctica New Zealand – with Government Funding confirmed for the Scott Base Redevelopment (SBR). This will see the existing base, built in the 1980s and made up of 12 buildings, replaced by three large interconnected buildings. This coming season, the current base will be enhanced, increasing the sleeping capacity. This will ensure we can continue to support world leading science and the rebuild at the same time.
Scott Base has been the hub of New Zealand's activities in Antarctica since 1957. It’s remote, so the small team that works at this incredible location needs to work well together, focus on safety and integrate successfully into the small community lifestyle.
In this role you will play an important part in refurbishing Scott Base, increasing sleeping capacity ready for the upcoming seasons. You will be responsible for undertaking project work associated with water production, storage, waste-water treatment, water reticulation and fire water systems, while ensuring compliance with New Zealand standards and regulations.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Waste-water treatment plant upgrades.
- Installation of base pipe work to support the relocation of the base Fire Water Pump.
- Undertake external work including stock relocation and inventory and supporting enabling /project works.
- Carrying out internal plumbing work associated with converting office space into an accommodation block, including the installation of fire water pipework and sprinklers and the installation of additional shower and toilet facilities.
- Support the Scott Base engineering team with work as required, including the routine and non-routine maintenance of Scott Base buildings, plant and equipment.
This is a five-month role based in Antarctica from approximately August 2023 until December 2023.
What you will bring
- At least five years post-qualification experience.
- Hold a current confined space and gas detection qualification (Unit Standards 17599, 18426).
- A current NZ practicing licence and being a certified or registered plumber is preferable.
- Experience with domestic/industrial/commercial plumbing systems.
- Current full NZ Class 1 and ability to drive a manual vehicle.
Antarctica is one of the most remote places on earth. Because of this, all successful applicants must be certified medically fit by Antarctic New Zealand’s medical assessor. This assessment This includes having up to date COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations. If you have any medical or psychological conditions, please reach out to us on email@example.com to discuss your application further.
To view a role description via the trademe website, click ‘Apply’ and then click here
Applications close Sunday 2 April 2023. With upwards of 60 roles to recruit, timelines are longer than for a typical job. An update will be provided by approximately the end of April.
Interested in a different role in Antarctica? It takes all kinds to run Scott Base including Carpenters, Electricians, Chefs, Medic, Domestics and Field Trainers. Check out our website (https://www.antarcticanz.govt.nz/jobs) to see what other roles we have available! Don’t see anything of interest listed? Why not apply for our ‘expressions of interest’ and be in the know when one does become available.
One of Antarctica New Zealand’s core values is ‘we care for each other and the environment’. We actively encourage applications from all cultures, beliefs and backgrounds and are committed to ensuring our culture is welcoming, accessible, equitable and safe for all.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.