Environmental Manager – Scott Base Redevelopment
Policy, Environment and Safety
June 23, 2022
Environmental Manager - Scott Base Redevelopment
Who are we?
At Antarctica New Zealand, we aim to ensure that Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are valued, protected and understood. Our role is to support world-leading science and environmental protection and to raise public awareness of the global significance of the continent and surrounding Southern Ocean.
It’s an exciting time to be joining Antarctica New Zealand, with the organisation leading two influential initiatives on behalf of the New Zealand Government. The Scott Base Redevelopment (SBR) project is underway and will see the existing base built in the 1980s completely replaced by 2028. Additionally, Antarctica New Zealand is halfway through the initial seven-year term as hosts of the Antarctic Science Platform, a Strategic Science Investment funded by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
What will you do?
Effective environmental management and adherence to the Comprehensive Environmental Evaluation (CEE) is essential for the success of this influential project. The CEE forms both the environmental impact assessment and the permit for the SBR project in Antarctica. This role works closely with the Policy, Environment and Safety Team to deliver outstanding environmental leadership, management and advice to the SBR Project team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide technical environmental leadership and support to contractors/construction staff implementing environmental controls to minimise the impacts of SBR in Antarctica.
- Support the integration of Antarctica New Zealand’s Environmental Management System (EMS) within SBR.
- Lead the implementation of Green Star and ensure both Design and As-Built accreditation are achieved.
- Manage the development of the SBR Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP) in close cooperation with the contractor(s), and support the contractor’s implementation of the CEMP to minimise environmental impacts in Antarctica.
- Provide technical environmental expertise and support New Zealand’s implementation of the Antarctic Treaty System in the context of the SBR Project.
- Travel to Antarctica for approximately four weeks per annum to oversee environmental monitoring. This requires being certified medically fit by Antarctic New Zealand's medical assessor. There is a requirement to have up to date COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations and be in good health.
What will you bring?
- A degree in a relevant science field or environmental management
- Ideally, trained as a Greenstar Accredited Professional
- Environmental management experience on construction projects
- Experience in developing and implementing Environmental Management Plans for construction projects
- Experience in Environmental Impact Assessments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A team-based attitude with a solution focused approach to challenges and issues
- Preferably, an understanding and some experience with the Resource Management Act (1991), the Antarctic Treaty system and relevant national Antarctic legislation.
To view a role description via the Seek website, click ‘Apply’ and then click here
Applications close Tuesday 12 July 2022
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand