Policy, Environment and Safety
October 11, 2021
Contribute to the team responsible for supporting New Zealand’s strategic interests in Antarctica and strengthening New Zealand’s policy leadership in the Antarctic Treaty System.
- Connect Science, policy and environmental management
- Support Antarctica New Zealand’s Environmental Management System
- Provide technical and policy support to a variety of stakeholders
Who are we?
At Antarctica New Zealand, we proudly ensure that Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are valued, protected and understood. We support world-leading science and environmental protection and raise public awareness of the global significance of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean.
Antarctica New Zealand has focused on science and environmental leadership in Antarctica as a key strategic goal to maintain New Zealand’s ongoing international influence. New Zealand has made a strong commitment to the conservation of the intrinsic and wilderness values of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean through active and responsible environmental stewardship. Seeking increased protection while reducing our environmental footprint in Antarctica and promoting a high level of environmental awareness and commitment among all New Zealand Antarctic programme participants remains a key goal for Antarctica New Zealand.
This role is accountable for supporting the development and implementation of Antarctica New Zealand's Environmental Management System, through the delivery of identified initiatives and projects, and ensuring that Antarctica New Zealand meets its obligations to national and international legislation and standards
Key responsibilities include:
- Provide leadership and support of the Environmental Management System (EMS) across the organisation, by promoting and championing continual improvement in areas of the EMS
- Provide accurate and timely policy advice to external stakeholders to support New Zealand's influential role in Antarctic affairs.
- Support a range of environmental management projects to support New Zealand’s commitment to an increasingly well-managed Ross Sea region
- Provide technical and policy support to internal and external stakeholders.
This is a fixed term, 18 month role to cover a period of parental leave.
What will you bring?
- Relevant tertiary qualification (science field or environmental management).
- Minimum three years' experience delivering and preferably leading a range of environmental management projects and outcomes.
- Management of databases and report writing.
- Ideally, experience undertaking and/or facilitating audits.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with scientists, ideally through joint projects or programmes.
To view a role description and to apply please visit the Antarctica New Zealand careers page https://bit.ly/3BxK92p
We strongly encourage applicants to tailor their application to the role description.
Applications close Sunday 24 October 2021.