Scott Base, Sector claimed by New Zealand
June 17, 2022
Who are we?
At Antarctica New Zealand, we proudly ensure that Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are valued, protected and understood. Our role is to support world-leading science and environmental protection and to raise public awareness of the global significance of the continent and surrounding Southern Ocean.
Scott Base has been the hub of New Zealand's activities in Antarctica since 1957. It's remote, so the small team that works at this incredible location needs to work well together, focus on safety and integrate successfully into the small community lifestyle.
The Engineer (Maintenance) is responsible for the upgrade, maintenance and operation of plant and machinery in Antarctica, by working through set maintenance and upgrade programmes. They also provide support to visiting events and undertake ad hoc work requests.
The 'life support' systems such as power generation and heating are mission critical to Antarctica New Zealand's ability to maintain a continuing presence in Antarctica.
- The daily maintenance and operation of the 'life support' systems
- Providing general engineering support
- Support visiting contractors with asset maintenance and servicing work.
- Serving on the Scott Base Fire Crew
This is a thirteen-month role based in Antarctica from approximately September 2022 until October 2023
What you will bring
- NZ Trade Certificate or recognised equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline
- At least five years post-qualification experience in one of the following: mechanical engineering, maintenance fitting or another engineering trade.
- Current full NZ Class 1 and ability to drive a manual vehicle
To help ensure the health and wellbeing of everyone travelling to Scott Base, offers of employment are conditional on being certified medically fit by Antarctic New Zealand's medical assessor. There is a requirement to have up to date COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations and be in good health, particularly related to respiratory and cardio-vascular systems. For specific questions, contact email@example.com.
To view a role description via the Seek or trademe website, click ‘Apply’ and then click here
Applications will close Sunday 3 July 2022 at 1700 hrs NZT however we will be reviewing applications as they come in so to ensure you don’t miss out on this opportunity we suggest to apply today!
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.