Field Safety Lead
March 9, 2023
Who are we?
At Antarctica New Zealand, we proudly ensure that Antarctica and the Southern Ocean are valued, protected and understood. Our role is to support world-leading science and environmental protection and to raise public awareness of the global significance of the continent and surrounding Southern Ocean.
Our Christchurch based Operations Team have an important role in the planning and safe delivery of operational activities at Scott Base. Scott Base has been the hub of New Zealand's activities in Antarctica since 1957. The Base will be redeveloped to support New Zealand’s enduring presence in Antarctica and the Ross Sea for the next 50 years. Not surprisingly, operating in Antarctica is not straight forward, and the safety of people and the protection of the environment are paramount.
The role of Field Safety Lead is to manage the safe delivery of the annual Antarctic Field Programme by providing expert knowledge to the event planning processes and to support the requirements of the Event, Health Safety and Environmental Management Systems.
- Apply Antarctica New Zealand’s systems to all planning work with a focus on Health, Safety, Wellbeing, Risk and Environment as part of the planning cycle
- Travel to and live at Scott Base for approximately three months per annum.
- Lead the annual review of field risk related to events and communicate ANTNZ requirements across planning team – monitoring safety planning
- Lead the annual recruitment process for the Scott Base field team to develop high functioning teams
- Work with aviation stakeholders to review Safety Management Systems
- Ensure field work is carried out in accordance with ANTNZ operational procedures
What will you bring?
- Minimum of three years Operational leadership experience in outdoor instruction and/or guiding environments in alpine/cold weather environment
- Preferably hold a current NZOIA Alpine 2 and/or NZMGA Alpine Trekking Guide as a minimum qualification (or equivalent experience)
- Proven field and logistics planning experience in Antarctica or similar remote environments
- Preferably knowledge and experience in HSE investigation methodology
- Current full NZ Class 1 drivers’ licence
To view a role description, click 'Apply' and then click here.
This role is required to travel to and live at Scott Base for approximately three months per annum.
To help ensure the health and wellbeing of everyone travelling to Scott Base, offers of employment are conditional on being certified medically fit by Antarctic New Zealand’s medical assessor. This includes a requirement to have up to date COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations and be in good health, particularly related to cardio-vascular systems. If you have any medical or psychological conditions, please reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your application further.
Applications close Sunday, 9 April 2023. However, we will be reviewing applications regularly and may close applications early - so to ensure you don’t miss out on this opportunity, apply today!
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.
One of Antarctica New Zealand's core values is 'we care for each other and the environment'. We actively encourage applications from all cultures, beliefs and backgrounds and are committed to ensuring our culture is welcoming, accessible, equitable and safe for all.